Meal prepping is a very common step for new mother’s to feel prepared to welcome a new baby. Keeping your meals simple, quick, healthy and freezable will make the process go smoothly.
This hamburger soup recipe has always been a big hit with the new mothers in my life. The nice thing about this recipe is that it is very easy to add as much or as little of the ingredients as you’d like. I’ll warn you, I do not have set measurements, but only roughly what I throw into this pot of deliciousness.
- Ground beef 1/2 lb (or more if you like yours meaty)
- Carrots 2-3 chopped
- Celery 2-3 chopped
- Onions 1 medium
- Garlic 3 cloves
- Canned tomatoes (large can)
- Tomato sauce (small can)
- Quinoa 1/4 cup (or more if you like it hearty)
- Beef or vegetable broth (900ml)
- Salt & pepper
- Bay leaf
- In a large pot, fry the ground beef until completely cooked. Remove from pot and set aside.
- While ground beef is cooking, cook your quinoa in a separate pot.
- In the same large pot, sautee carrots, celery, onions, garlic until soft.
- Add ground beef back into the pot. Add canned tomatoes, tomato sauce and broth. Stir to mix. I like my soup thick, so I add a little bit less broth.
- Add bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Simmer the soup to allow the flavours to mix. Serve with your favourite buns.